Monday, March 28, 2011

Diaper Bags...



WHO KNEW THERE WERE SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM!?!
I've had a few of my girlfriends give me the advice- 
"DON'T wait to start looking for a diaper bag! you'll be surprised at how long you'll take to pick one!'
Do I get one thats more like a purse?
Should I just get a big purse and call it good?
Do I get one with a shoulder sling?
Will I like the laminated kind in St. George or will it get hot and sticky?
Do I get fun colors because I LOVE fun colors or do I get one that will go with everything?
should I get a neutral gender one or will it even last me till my next baby?
SO MANY FACTORS!!
and these suckers are EXPENSIVE!
Unless they have Whinnie the Pooh or Tinkerbell on them they are WELL over $40!
I need some diaper bag advice from anybody who has some to give...
WHAT DO I GET?!

p.s isn't that black and red one in the middle ADORABLE!!? No worries that one is only $120.00...
...*sigh*...

14 comments:

Jasmine said...

Definitely do NOT spend more than $40 - $50! You are going to get poop, spit-up, food, dirt, juice, and all sort of who-knows-what on/in that thing, no matter how careful you are not to. Trust me.

I got a gender-neutral one when I had Alexis, thinking that it would last me. I just replaced it with a bigger one because 1) it just didn't have enough room to haul two kids' stuff, and 2) the bottom corners were getting pretty worn out. Also it looked really dirty because it's light green. So I would definitely recommend a darker color or bold pattern.

The last two things I would make sure it has is several inside pockets and long straps (whether sling strap or double). At some point you'll be throwing blankets or jackets across the top, and you'll get really frustrated if you can't get it over your shoulder.

Hope this helps! I think I like diaper bag shopping more than purse shopping. :)

Cortney said...

let me know what works best for you! i am in desperate need of a new diaper bag.. we spent 25 on ours from walmart.. super cheap and its worked fine but its tearing now and gross looking and i need a new one.. i will probably get a new one with every kid just because they get SOO messy... thats the only advice that i have ha but let me know because i need a good nice one!!!!

Cortney said...

oh and i like the yellow one and the three bottom ones! where are those from!? can you message that to me on facebook :)

Jessica and Tyler Day said...

Oh my heck, I went through this as well! Lucky for me, my cousins gave me the BEST diaper bag EVER. I get a billion compliments on it, and it has worked out perfectly! It is exactly like the ones you have on there with the bottle holder thing and the diaper changer thinger...haha. It is a different color than any of those ones, but I think it is mostly like that black one with bunches of colors, only its white where the black is and turqoise is the inner color. I LOVE it because it has not even gotten dirty and I carry that sucker everywhere! I love how I can just wipe it off! I also like the size...I have a bunch of crap in there and it ALL fits! :) I don't use the bottle thing, but I do love the diaper changer and the little pouch for when I just need a few things and dont want to take the whole thing into the store or wherever. Also...I love the adjustable strap because sometimes when I have a bunch of things to carry I make it big and put it over my head/shoulder! Anyway, I hope all of my jabberin' helps you! Good luck! :)

Jasmine said...

BTW - the one I just bought is the same style as the one on the bottom right, but it's a different pattern and black and green. I love it!

Jessica and Tyler Day said...

Oh...sorry I have more to say. I also love mine because it has SO many colors! I am a bright person...but seriously since it has so many colors I feel it goes with everything. Thats all. I feel like I am trying to sell my diaper bag, it really is the greatest! :)

Nate and Erin Russell said...

my thoughts:
don't get a gender neutral one in the hopes to use it next time, because it will be so worn you'll want to trash it, or you'll just want a new one. imagine having the same purse 2-3 years. not happening.
don't spend TOO much on one, cuz if you're like me you'll want to switch it up once in a while.
don't just get a big purse, diaper bags have lots of pockets that really come in handy
i LOVED my plastic covered one living in st. george. it may get sticky but it won't get stained.
what i want more than anything is a miche diaper bag. the ones where you buy the inner part of the bag and the outside can be switched around in two seconds. they make diaper bag "shells" but the core bag can also fit into a purse "shell" for when you don't want to look so mom-ish.
diaper bags, for me, are a big deal, so i'm glad i'm not the only one.

Nat-a-baby said...

No comment on diaper bags, but did you see that you had four people from Taiwan look at your blog in the last 24 hours?? See!!! It's kind of freaky cause you can't link to their page and see who's looking in. You sure none of Brandon's friends are checking your blog? And mine?

Kristin Morris said...

ok...looks like you have lots of advice... but here's some more:) ...I have that bright green and brown paisley one- and i love it! Totally worth the money because you use it EVERYDAY for a long time. the black and red one is adorable, but dont give in. You will find that a shoulder strap is A MUST. you quickly run out of hands when you have so much to cart around, plus you can also drape it over stroller handles, etc. ...I also like the brand of mine because the vinyl-y stuff on it. cuz yes it will get all sorts of crap on it, but then it cleans up easy. I used a cheap one with Carson and i always hated it!!! Oh and the bigger the better :) good luck. Cant wait to see what you choose haha

Kelsie Thueson said...

ohhhh....I cringe looking at diaper bags! I'm not sure why...maybe because they are so expensive, or there are so many to choose from, or I don't really know what I like! Choices, choices! But I pretty much them em all! Let us know which one you chose, and where you got it from! I've got to start looking in the near future and I'll be needing some tips! Mucho gracias!

Julie said...

I'm on my 3rd baby and have had at least SIX diaper bags. I started out too small. With the first baby who was nursing, all you need is a few diapers, burp cloth, & a change of clothes. Easy. But then they get older & you need toys, sippy cups, bibs, crayons, crackers, fruit snacks, etc. Then add the 2nd kid and forget it. You basically need a suitcase. My advice is get a big one with LOTS of pockets. I currenly have one from Target that looks a lot like the one on the bottom right (brown & green), and I love it! It was $60but I can tote stuff for all 3 kids in it.

Have you registered at Target? Towards the end of your pregnancy, they'll send you a card in the mail and you can get 10% off everything on your registry that you haven't gotten yet. Awesome!

Rachel said...

Yeah so I pretty much went around the diaper bag. I just got a big purse, because really I didn't want to have to carry a purse and a diaper bag. So i opted for the purse instead. It has worked for me. But then again I didn't really carry any bottles or anything like that with me. So if you are going to do that then maybe the diaper bag is more what you want.
But I agree on not spending more than 40 or 50 dollars. It is not worth the money no matter how cute they are!
Love ya cuz!

Anonymous said...

I have a Miche diaper bag. They have magnetic covers so you change the outside cover depending on what you want it to go with, I really like it! They also have a lot of room and tons of compartments to store items.

McCall said...

Just remember... the bigger the bag the more you will carry! Good and bad! The bigger the baby the more back trouble these dumb things cause!