Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Hutch...



So this week was a long one because of school and I really wanted to do something fun this weekend.
I finished all my homework on Friday so that I could spend all saturday on THIS!
When we got married we were FORTUNATE enough to inherit all of my dads ex-ex dental waiting room furniture and it's LOVELY... the sofa is a beautiful baby pink and green plaid partnered up with an impressive oversized wing chair covered in christmas color plaids all tied together with a HUGE round ottoman that is also a lovely pink floral... Now interior design is ONE of my favorite things (since I work in an interior design store and I grew up with one) (mom) it's always been something I love to do! However I've felt doomed and tied down to an ugly house till I get rid of that wretched furniture! Brandon finally promised me a new couch in May when we graduate so I decided i was going to start doing the things to my house that i've been wanting to do even if my furniture was HIDEOUS and NOTHING I do will ever match it! so here goes!!! 
This is the color I chose... Don't worry I was nervous about it too at first...
I MUST say though that the REAL art piece was me... These were my feet after walking around paint splattered newspapers all day.


I THINK some of the paint actually made it to the hutch?.... and yes I stuck my head in one of the shelves after it was painted and got my hair COVERED in blue paint... I'm new at this... 
AAAAAND.......
......
..........
............
.......
..
.

TA DAAA!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!! 
I'm so glad I went with a bright color! My house colors are teal, green, mustard and brown so on the knobs i couldn't decided between baby blue or mustard so thats why they are 2 different colors but I think we decided we liked the blue better :) Any opinions on that?...
So here are my words of advice if you ever paint furniture....

1- DO NOT PAINT ON NEWSPAPER!! it sticks to it on the legs of the piece and you have to peel it off and repaint it after it's dry. Paint of cardboard
2- sweep off the area your painting in COMPLETELY if there is ANY sort of wind!
3-When painting shelves start with the top (roof) of it, then the walls, then the actual shelf.... that way you don't have to stick your head into a wet shelf to paint the top ha ha ha

DINING ROOM TABLE YOUR NEXT!!!

8 comments:

Susan said...

I love it! From here my vote is for the mustard knobs. More contrast.

kelly anne said...

awesome!

i like the blue, but i'm not much of a mustard girl...

Natalie said...

One word-Awesome. Nice work! And thanks for the painting tips! :)

Emily said...

I LOVE it! Way to go. I would be nervous to do such a bright color, but I couldn't love it more. I'm inspired!!

Lyon's said...

wow, you are TALENTED! that is amazing. I absolutely love it

*The Thomas 3* said...

I like the blue ones! Totally inspiring Megs! I think it's great!

Nat-a-baby said...

The Hutch never looked so good! Way to be daring. That's so awesome. Also, I like your "Turning Points" post. Sounds like you're getting more and more serious about the Masters Degree. Keep up the drive there! Way to go on answering a question in math class!

Tela said...

Love it megan!!That color is so cute!!